The following is a listing of May events at the Abington Community Library, 1200 W. Grove St., Clarks Summit. To register for any event or for more information, call 570-587-3440 or visit lclshome.org/abington. As a reminder, the library will be closed from Saturday, May 24, through Tuesday, May 27, in observance of the Memorial Day holiday. If anyone is interested in participating with the library in this year’s Clarks Summit Memorial Day Parade, call or visit the library to sign up. This month, the library will collect items for the Gino Merli Veterans Center in Scranton.
• Storytimes for children will be held on Tuesdays at 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m for preschoolers (ages 3-5), Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. for toddlers (ages 2-3) and Fridays at 10:30 a.m. for babies (ages 0-2). Registration is requested.
• Caring Hands Group: Mondays at 1 p.m. Knit or crochet items that are needed by local non-profit agencies. Grade seven to adult.
• Bridge Group: Tuesdays from 1-3 p.m. New members welcome.
• Mah Jongg: Tuesdays from 1-3 p.m. Group consists of National Mah Jongg League players. No experience necessary.
• Bridge Group: Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to noon. New members welcome.
• Families Helping Families: Wednesdays from 7-8:30 p.m. Facilitators provide an educational series and support group for teens and their families affected by substance abuse. Co-sponsored by the Clearbook Foundation.
• Scrabble: Thursdays at 1 p.m. No registration necessary.
• Anime Club: Fridays from 4-6 p.m. Open to grades seven through 12.
• Classics Discussion Group: Thursday, May 1, at 5:30 p.m. This month’s discussion will feature “The Phenomenology of Spirit or the Philosophy of Right” by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel. Adults.
• Paper Crafting Tips, Tools and Techniques: Thursday, May 1, from 6-8 p.m. Learn tips, experience tools and explore techniques of the art of paper crafting. A materials fee of $10 is payable to the instructor at the time of class. Adults.
• Game Night with Wii: Friday, May 2, 6:30-8 p.m. Open to grades four through six.
• Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel: Saturday, May 3, from 1-3 p.m. Open to grades four through 12. Sponsored by the Teen Leadership Committee. An additional duel will be held on Saturday, May 17, from 1-3 p.m.
• Spring Egg Hunt: Sunday, May 4, from 3-4 p.m. Listen to a story, search for eggs and enjoy a treat. Children.
• Card Making with Ricki Kalp: Monday, May 5, from 1-3 p.m. Create two Mother’s Day cards and learn how to make dryer sheet flowers. A materials fee of $10 is payable to the instructor at the time of class. Limit five participants. Adults.
• Technology Scheduling Session: Tuesday, May 6, from noon to 1 p.m. One-on-one sessions for adults who need help in computer basics, such as email, iPad/iPhone, Kindle/Nook, Facebook, Skype, Facetime, Microsoft Office Suite (2007). Additional sessions will be held on Wednesday, May 7, from 6-7 p.m., Tuesday, May 13, from noon to 1 p.m. and Wednesday, May 21, from 6-7 p.m.
• Esperanto Class: Tuesday, May 6, from 7-8:30 p.m. Learn to speak Esperanto; open to all ages. Additional sessions will be held on Tuesday, May 13, from 7-8:30 p.m., Tuesday, May 20, from 7-8:30 p.m., and Tuesday, May 27, from 7-8:30 p.m.
• Quilting: Thursday, May 8, from 6-8 p.m. Bring your current project. Adults. An additional session will be held on Thursday, May 22, from 6-8 p.m.
• Kaffeklatsch: Thursday, May 8, at 7 p.m. German language conversation group for all levels.
• Cinco de Mayo Celebration: Friday, May 9, from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Limbo, piñata, food and games for grades four through six.
• Second Saturdays Story Time: Saturday, May 10, at 10:30 a.m. Featuring “Fancy Nancy,” open to ages 3-6. Siblings welcome.
• Garden Question-and-Answer with Susan Maslar: Monday, May 12, from 7-8:30 p.m. Maslar is a Lackawanna County Master Gardener and has her own Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) business and a small greenhouse. She assisted the Abington Community Gardeners in 2013. This session is open to any interested gardener.
• Mystery Book Club: Tuesday, May 13, from 7-8 p.m. This month’s reading is “Dejà Dead” by Kathy Reichs.
• LEGO Club: Sunday, May 18, from 2:30-3:30 p.m. LEGOs are provided. Sponsored by the Teen Leadership Committee. Open to children in Kindergarten through grade six.
• Painting Class with Sharon Mcardle: Monday, May 19, from 6-8 p.m. This class’s project is to be announced. A materials fee of $8 per person is due to the instructor at the time of class.
• Make-It, Take-It Craft Time: Tuesday, May 20, from 3-5 p.m. Open to children ages 3-10. Drop in at any time during the hours listed, all materials will be provided.
• Afternoon Book Club: Wednesday, May 21, from 2-3 p.m. This month’s book is “The Elegance of the Hedgehog” by Muriel Barbery. Adults.
• Family Story Time: Friday, May 23, from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Sponsored by the Teen Leadership Committee, this month’s theme is “The Dark.” Open to ages 3-6, siblings welcome.
• Teen Leadership Committee Meeting: Tuesday, May 27, from 4-5 p.m. Open to all teens or tweens interested in voicing their opinions on programming, book selections, etc. Grades five through 12.
• Paper Crafting with Maria Pappa: Friday, May 30, from 6-8 p.m. A materials cost of $10 is paid to the instructor at the time of class.