Celebrating 100 Years
When Deacon William Clark, a soldier from the Revolutionary War who fought with George Washington at the Battle of Trenton, settled in northeast Pennsylvania, he cleared a triangular plot of several acres called “the green.”
In 1914, “the green” was formally incorporated as Clarks Green Borough after splitting from South Abington Township and now, this coming weekend, Clarks Green will celebrate its centennial.
Here is a rundown of this weekend’s events:
• Saturday, May 24: The day will begin at noon with the ringing of the borough’s centennial bell, which is housed at the Clarks Green Borough building, 104 N. Abington Road. The bell once graced the bell tower of the former Baptist Church of Clarks Green and was originally slated for the junk yard but the current owners of the former church property, the Waverly Masonic Lodge No. 301, donated it to the borough in honor of its centennial.
Following the bell ringing will be the unveiling of the borough’s Centennial Clock as well as a tribute to area veterans. The day will also include a health fair, bake sale, children’s activities, historical walking tours featuring the Dearly Departed Players, a barbecue, entertainment by a barbershop quartet and by Tom Rogo and Company and a historical photo display at Summit Frameworks, 111 N. Abington Road.
• Sunday, May 25: Activities will begin at 1:30 p.m. on the grounds of Our Lady of Peace School, 410 N. Abington Road, and will include entertainment by Ron Leas’ Big Band from 1:30-3:30 p.m., Tyler Asay and John Domenico from 3:30-4:30 p.m. and the Coal Town Rounders from 4:30-7:30 p.m. An ice cream social, featuring strawberry shortcake, hamburgers, hot dogs and other picnic fare will also be held. Old-fashioned games, including a pie eating contest and sack races are also part of the festivities.
For more information on the Clarks Green Centennial Celebration, visit www.clarksgreen.info.