Around Town for Thursday, Feb. 28, 2013
Font size: [A] [A] [A]
Chicken and Biscuit Dinner
The Dalton United Methodist Church, 125 S. Turnpike Road, will hold a chicken and biscuit dinner on Saturday, March 2, from 4:30- 7 p.m. Take-outs will be available at 4 p.m. Tickets are $9 for ages 10 and older; $4 for ages 4-10. Children younger than 4 are admitted for free. Call Pat at 945-5586 or Margaret at 587-3755 for more information.
The Factoryville Public Library, 163 College Ave., will host a book sale on Saturday, March 2, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Donations of newer books in good condition are accepted. Call 955-8150 for more information.
Softball Meeting Notice
The Valley Petunia League will hold its third meeting of the 2013 season on Sunday, March 3, at 6 p.m. at the American Legion Post, 508 Church St., Jessup. All coaches and league representatives are encouraged to attend. Visit www.eteamz.com/valleypetunia for more information.
Abington Heights Civic League
The Abington Heights Civic League will meet on Monday, March 4, at 7 p.m. at the clubhouse, located at 115 Colburn Ave., Clarks Summit. The featured speaker will be Donna Zagrapan. Call 587-3101 for more information.
Glenn Miller Remembrance
The Waverly United Methodist Church, 105 Church St., will present a free afternoon showing of "Remembering Glenn Miller and His Orchestra" on Sunday, March 10, at 2 p.m. The documentary is narrated by Pete Noto and features Tex Beneke, Ray Ebrle, Marion Hutton, The Modernaires, Sgt. Johnny Desmond, The U.S. AAF Band and prominent leaders of the Big Band era. Call 586-8166 for more information.
Lenten and Easter Services
The Countryside Community Church, 14011 Orchard Drive, Clarks Summit, will host the following Lenten and Easter services.
Lenten series: "Words of Christ from the Cross"
- Wednesday, March 6: The Third Word, 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 13: The Fourth Word, 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 20: The Fifth Word, 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, March 28/Maundy Thursday: The Sixth Word, 6:30 p.m.
- Sunday, March 31/Easter Sunday: Services will be held at 6:30 a.m. and 10 a.m.
Call 587-3206 or email email@example.com for more information.
Waverly Community House Events
The Waverly Community House, 1115 N. Abington Rd, will host the following events this winter:
- Coach Little Basketball Clinics for boys and girls ages 6-9 will begin on Tuesday, March 6, from 3:30 to 5 p.m. Clinics for boys and girls in grades four to six will begin on Thursday, March 7, from 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- A workshop entitled "Special Needs Students and Strategies for Post-Secondary Success" will take place on Wednesday, March 6, at 6 p.m. The snow date will be Wednesday, March 13.
- Etiquette Classes will be held on Saturday, March 16. A session for children age 4-7 will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and a session for children ages 8-14 will be held from 2-4 p.m.
- Beginner's Italian classes will take place for eight weeks beginning on Tuesday, April 9, from 7-8 p.m.
Call 586-8191 for more information.
The Greater Scranton Roaring Ramblers Toastmasters will meet on Tuesday, March 12, and Tuesday, March 26, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at Allied Services. Visitors are welcome. Call 498-1110 or 604-6176 or visit www.scrantontoastmasters.org for more information.
Day of Reflection
The Women's Guild of Church of St. Gregory in Clarks Green is sponsoring its annual day of reflection on Wednesday, March 13, at St. Gabriel's Retreat Center, 631 Griffin Pond Rd. Registration will be held from 9-9:30 a.m. The spiritual director for the day will be Rev. Lee Havey, C.P., and his theme will be "Finding Faith In the Faces Around You." The program will include meditation and a luncheon and the day will conclude at 3 p.m. following the celebration of the Mass. The program fee is $25. For more information or to make reservations, call Nancy at 586-9227 or Martha at 587-2491 before Monday, March 11.