The Waverly Masonic Lodge No. 301 will host its annual chicken barbecue on Saturday, June 21, beginning at noon, at the lodge, located at 118 N. Abington Road, Clarks Green. The menu will include a half chicken, baked beans and coleslaw. Tickets are $9; $5 for children younger than 12.
The Waverly Community Church will host its fifth annual patriotic concert on Friday, June 27, at 7 p.m. at the Ramada Clarks Summit, 820 Northern Blvd. The event will feature guest speaker David Madiera and a performance by the Lenoxville Community Band. Call 570-587-2280 for more information.
The Countryside Community Church will host its annual fishing derby on Saturday, June 28, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Abington Heights Middle School Pond, 1555 Newton-Ransom Blvd., Newton Twp. The derby is open to children age 15 and younger and no registration is required. Pony rides and face painting will also be offered. Call 570-587-3206 or visit countryside-church.org for more information.
The Abington Area Joint Recreation Board (AAJRB) will host its annual Earth Camp at Hillside Park, located at the intersection of Grove St. and Winola Road, from Tuesday, July 1, through Wednesday, July 30, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. The camp features events for children from grades five through seven, including rocket making, water discovery, volcano making, rocketry, water painting, clay pottery, fishing, canoeing and more. There will also be guest presentations about Zumba and self-defense. This year’s camp is led by director Emily Rinaldi. Cost is $125 for the session. Registration forms are available at hillsidepark.net.
The Rotary Club of the Abingtons will host its annual fireworks display at the Abington Heights Middle School, 1555 Newton-Ransom Blvd., Newton Twp. on Friday, July 4. All activities will begin at 5 p.m. and the fireworks display will begin at dusk. Parking is $5 per vehicle. Rain date is Saturday, July 5.
Comm Summer Events
The Waverly Community House, 1115 N. Abington Road, will host the following events this summer:
• Comm Camp: a six-week themed day camp for children in pre-Kindergarten through grade seven. There is also a counselor in training program for grades eight to 10. Dates: Monday, June 30, through Friday, Aug. 8, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Camp Create: a specialized themed day camp for children with special needs in grades six to 12 or equivalent abilities. Two sessions will be held. Session I: Monday-Friday, Aug. 11-15. Session II: Monday-Friday, Aug. 18-22. Both sessions run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• “Painting the Town:” beginner’s drawing and painting for grades three to eight. Dates: Monday through Friday, June 23-27, from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
• “I Can Shape and Spin:” a special session of Camp Create where children with special needs will create pottery and sculpture. Dates: Monday through Friday, June 23-27, from 10-11:30 a.m.
• “You Are Mixing Your Colors:” beginner’s oil painting for children in grades three to eight. Dates: Monday-Friday, Aug. 11-15, from 9:30 a.m. to noon.
• Shakespeare at the Comm: open to children in grades five to eight. Dates: Monday through Friday, July 14-18, from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
For more information or to register, call 570-586-8191, ext. 2 or visit waverlycomm.org.