Abington Area Community Classroom Spring 2014 Schedule
The Abington Area Community Classroom has begin its Spring 2014 session. Course information is as listed below. To register for a course, visit www.aacclass.org or make checks payable to AACC and mail them to AACC, c/o Emily Rancier, 300 Kennedy Creek Road, N. Abington Twp., PA 18414. Call 570-563-2402 or 570-954-6650 for more information. Class enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis. Include course number when registering.
All Abington Area Community Classroom cooking classes will be held at the First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, 300 School St. Start time is 6:30 p.m. and the fee is $35 per class. Classes are limited to 10 students.
• No. 102: Healthy Meals for Busy People: Thursday, March 20. Laurie Waskovich, a registered dietitian specializing in working with families and sole proprietor of Well Kitchen, will give students the help they need to create healthy meals on the go. Register by Monday, March 10.
• No. 103: Vegetarian, the Three S’s: Thursday, March 27. Instructor Karen Belli will teach students how to create interesting, nutritious, and delicious soups, salads and sandwiches. Register by Monday, March 17.
• No. 104: Appetizers, Fast and Easy: Thursday, April 3. Sarah Trauger McCully from the State Street Grill will teach students how to make restaurant-style appetizers. Register by Monday, March 24.
• No. 105: Italian Cooking: Thursday, April 10. Instructor Gene Romaldini will teach students how to prepare baked polenta with Fontina cheese, stromboli, and homemade linguini with Alfredo sauce. Register by Monday, March 31.
Fitness and Fun
• No. 106: Finding Your Child’s Creative Spirit: Four Wednesdays: April 2, 9, 23 and 30, at 10 a.m.. Sarah Dawgert will host an interactive class for both children and caregivers. Participants will enjoy music, movement, finger play and story time in an atmosphere that is designed to encourage each child’s creativity, positive self-image, listening skills and social interaction. This class is intended for children aged 16 months to three years of age. Younger siblings are welcome. Location: First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, 300 School St. Cost is $25. Register by Sunday, March 23.
• No. 107: Repurposed Jewelry: Thursday, March 27, at 7 p.m. Instructor Sharon McCrone will help students create jewelry from odds and ends. Students are asked to bring buttons, nuts and bolts, old jewelry, broken watches, etc. Location: First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, 300 School St. Cost is $20. Register by Monday, March 17.
• No. 108: Knitting, the Next Step: Three Mondays: April 7, 14 and 28 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Learn how to make a cozy pair of slippers with instructor, Betty Horrocks. Students are asked to bring two skeins of worsted yarn, size 10 knitting needles, a large plastic sewing needle and two buttons. Location: Clarks Green United Methodist Church, 119 E. Glenburn Rd. Cost is $20. Register by Friday, March 28.
• No. 109: Pottery For Artists With Special Needs: Three Mondays, April 7, 14 and 28, from 7-8 p.m. In this inclusive class, taught by Diana Lombardi, artists will explore the coiling method of construction to create pots with or without a lid. Location: Abington Art Studio, 208 Depot St. Cost is $35, plus an additional $10 supply cost. Register by Friday, March 28.
• No. 110: Basket Making: Three Thursdays: May 1, 8 and 15, at 6 p.m. Instructor Beth Koehler will help students create a “catch all” basket with or without a handle. Location: First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, 300 School St. Cost is $25, plus an additional $10 supply cost. Register by Monday, April 21.
• No. 111: Felt Sampler: Thursday, May 15, at 7 p.m. Instructor Emily Rancier will teach students how to create a small wall hanging using wool roving, yarns and silks that will be wet-felted. Needle felting for additional effects will be discussed. Location: First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, 300 School St. Cost is $15, plus an additional $5 for supplies. Register by Monday, May 5.
• No. 112: Your Photographic Eye: Saturday, May 17, at 10 a.m. Instructor Sharon Burke will help students capture nature’s glory from behind the lens. Expensive equipment not necessary. Location: Hillside Park, intersection of Grove St. and Winola Road. Cost is $20. Register by Wednesday, May 7.
• No. 113: Slam In The Summit: Friday, March 28, from 7-8:30 p.m. Everyone has a story. Storytellers (slammers) will have five minutes to narrate their tales based on the event’s theme, “What Doesn’t Kill You.” Local judges will decide the winner. Hosted by Mike Stevens from WNEP-TV. Location: Duffy’s Coffee House, 312 S. State St. Cost: one food item to be donated to local food pantries. Register by Tuesday, March 18.
• No. 114: How To Get Published In Today’s Market: Three Thursdays: April 3, 10 and 24, from 6:30-7:30 p.m.. Consuela Golden will lead students through the labyrinth of today’s publishing options, both traditional (print) and nontraditional (eBooks and self-publishing). Learn everything from how to write a good query letter to how to find the right agent. Location: First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, 300 School St. Cost is $30. Register by Monday, March 24.
• No. 115: World Cinema: Four Thursdays: March 20 and 27; April 3 and 10, at 6 p.m. Jon Tichenor will give students a closer look at film genres from around the world: French romantic comedies, Japanese westerns, African dramas and Italian comedies. Location: First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, 300 School St. Cost is $30. Register by Monday, March 10.
• No. 116: Italian, More or Less: Six Thursdays: March 13, 20 and 27; April 3, 10 and 24, from 6:30-7:30 p.m. (beginners) or 7:30-8:30 p.m. (advanced). Begin to learn Italian, one of the most studied languages in the world. Pia Mazzarella, language instructor for over 35 years, will work with beginners the first hour and more advanced students during the second hour. Text: Barron’s Learn Italian ($18.99 online). Location: First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, 300 School St. Cost is $45. Register by Monday, March 3.
• No. 117: For the Love of Books: March 18 at noon. Bring lunch and meet to discuss literature with other book lovers. Location: Everything Natural, 426 S. State St. Cost: Donation.
• No. 118: Navigating the Online Super Highway: Four Thursdays, May 1, 8, 15 and 22, from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Jeff Brozena will show students how to craft a Facebook profile to stay in touch, write and maintain a blog, use Twitter and learn new read-it-later services such as Pocket (www.getpocket.com). Students are asked to bring a laptop if possible. Location: First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, 300 School St. Cost is $25. Register by Monday, April 21.
• No. 119: Further Exploration Into the Dreaming Mind: Eight Mondays, Match 10 through April 28, 7:30 p.m. Students will learn how to interpret and discover the deeper meaning of their dreams and how to use this knowledge to improve their lives. Instructor Kevin Creegan is a licensed psychologist, with training in using dream work to promote personal growth. Students are asked to bring a pen and notebook. Location: First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit. Cost is $30. Register by Friday, Feb. 28.
• No. 120: Stars and Galaxies: Mondays, May 5 and 19. Thomas Cupillari, Keystone College Observatory director, will teach about stars and their life cycles, then types and structures of galaxies. Rain or shine. Location: Thomas Cupillari Observatory, Fleetville. Cost: $10. Register by Friday, April 25.
• No. 121: Italian American History: Four Thursdays, May 1, 8, 15 and 22, 7:30 p.m.. Stephanie Longo, UNICO Scranton heritage coordinator and author of “The Italians of Northeastern Pennsylvania” will teach students the history of Italians in the United States from the era of Columbus to the present day. Course text will be “La Storia: Five Centuries of the Italian-American Experience” by Jerre Mangione and Ben Morreale. Location: First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, 300 School St. Cost: $25. Register by Monday, April 21.
Six Mondays, beginning March 10 through April 14. Instructors will be Jill and Gehred Wetzel. Cost is $50 per person. Register by Friday, Feb. 28.
• No. 122: Advanced Foxtrot, 6 p.m.
• No. 123: Intermediate Waltz and Tango, 7 p.m.
• No. 124: Beginner Cha Cha and Rumba, 8 p.m.
• No. 131: New York City: Saturday, May 10. Cost is $28. Leaves at 8 a.m. from the Sears parking lot at the Viewmont Mall. Departs from New York City at 7 p.m. Deadline for registration is Wednesday, April 30. Call 570-563-2402 for additional information. A registration form is required for each passenger.