Font size: [A] [A] [A]
The Factoryville Fire Co. Ladies Auxiliary will sponsor an all-day Sunday bingo at the Factoryville Fire Hall, College Avenue, on Sunday, Feb. 3. Doors will open at 10:30 a.m. and the games will begin at 12:30 p.m. Snacks, drinks and dinner will be available. Call 945-5769 for more information.
Civic League Meeting
The Abington Heights Civic League will meet on Monday, Feb. 4, at 7 p.m. at its clubhouse, 115 Colburn Ave., Clarks Summit. Cheryl Kaiser will speak. Call 587-3101 for more information.
Book Club Meeting
The Mysteries and Detectives Book Club will meet on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m. in the Abington Community Library. The book selection for February is "I Shall Not Want" by Julia Spencer-Fleming. The author for March will be Donna Leon.
The John & Erin Cabaret, featuring John Baldino and Erin Canedy, will present "The Cabaret of Broken Dreams" on Friday, Feb. 15, at 8 p.m. at the Vintage Theater, 326 Spruce St., Scranton. Tickets are $12 and can be purchased at www.ourcabaret.com, by calling 1-800-838-3006 or at the door.
Blue Ribbon Gala
Marley's Mission will host its annual Blue Ribbon Gala with the theme, "Building Our Future," on Saturday, Feb. 16, beginning at 6 p.m. at the Hilton Scranton Conference Center, Adams Ave. Tickets are $125 and may be purchased online at www.marleysmission.com/gala-2013/. Raffle tickets are also for $20. They may be purchased from any committee member or online at www.stayclassy.org/scranton/events/marleys-mission-building-our-future-raffle/e21990.
Model Kit Contest and Show
The Abington Sportsman Club is sponsoring a model kit contest and show on Sunday, Feb. 17, beginning at 1:30 p.m. at the Clarks Summit Fire Hall, 321 Bedford St. The event is open to the public to promote community activity and to raise money to support various youth organizations and scholarships in the Abington area.
- Participants can use commercially available model kits or create their own display model.
- Each participant will be given a 30-inch by 30-inch table top area to display their work.
- Participants will be placed into two age groups: junior (age 15 and younger) and senior (age 16 and older).
- Classifications to be judged are as folows: automotive, non-automotive, diorama (any model or figure display built into a scene such as war scenes, doll houses, legos and log blocks) and out of box (any model or display without modification or extra detailing.
Details, rules and entry forms are available through the Scranton Hobby Center, Time Flys Hobbies, the Abington Heights School District, the Lackawanna Trail School District, the Lakeland School District and participating sponsors of the Abington Sportsman Club. Entry fee is $6 for participants; admission fee is $3 for non-participants. Call Steve Wzorek at 903-2172 or Al Urban at 586-1816 for more information.
Clarks Green UMC Events
The following is a list of events taking place at the Clarks Green United Methodist Church, 119 Glenburn Road.
- Sunday Drive Discussion will be held on Sunday evenings at 7 p.m. in the church lounge. Sunday Drive Discussion is an open-forum conversation on contemporary questions and spiritual living in a secular world.
- A Christian book study is held on Monday evenings at 7 p.m. in the church lounge. Come and enjoy thought-provoking studies using Christian authors with diverse perspectives.
- Tae Kwon Do classes for all ages are held at the church. Children's classes are held Monday through Thursday from 4:30-5:30 p.m. and adult classes are held on Saturdays from 7-8:30 a.m. Classes are open to the public for nominal prices.
- Exercise classes are held at the church on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-10 a.m. Classes are open to the public for nominal prices.
Call 586-8946 for more information on these events.
The Voluntary Action Center, a United Way agency, matches volunteers with volunteer opportunities at more than 100 nonprofit agencies in Lackawanna County. Visit the Voluntary Action Center's website at www.vacnepa.org to learn more or call 347-5616 for more information.